The following steps will help minimize your risk when you burn candles in your home.
- Follow the instructions printed on the label.
- Trim candle wicks to a height of 5-7 mm (1/4 inch) before lighting the candle.
- Use well ventilated candle holders that are sturdy and will not tip over. Avoid wooden or plastic holders, as these can catch fire. Use caution with glass candle holders, which can break when they get too hot.
- Never drop objects, like matches, into candles.
- Keep burning candles away from materials that can catch fire (like curtains, decorations and clothing). If your clothes catch fire, "Stop, Drop and Roll."
- Keep burning candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Do not leave candles burning with no one in the room.
- Extinguish all candles before you go to sleep.
- Teach your children to be careful around open flames. Make sure they understand that candles are not toys, or something they can eat or drink.