Are you jealous of all of your family and friends who are going away to tropical destinations this winter? Don’t be! You can still have fun and relax at home while saving money and avoiding the hassle of packing and travelling.
Here are our 10 Staycation Essentials for a day or two of tropical bliss right in your very own home!
1. Wear light, colourful clothing and accessorize with leis and funky jewelry, hats, sunglasses, etc.
3. Decorate your home with tropical plants and vibrant, colourful flowers — real or fake! If you don’t want to decorate every room, pick one that you spend the most time in, such as your living room.
4. Listen to your favourite type of tropical music, such as calypso, soca, reggae, dancehall, or salsa. If you have kids at home, have a dance party together!
5. Play your favourite board games and give a special prize to each winner! The prize could be tropical stickers or a stuffed animal for kids and a drink mix or jewelry for adults.
6. Make a tropical themed craft or dessert. Use seashells, beach glass, and driftwood to decorate a frame, wreathe, or a piece of canvas. The best thing about these is you can use them for summer decor or to decorate a cottage! For desserts, try Key Lime Pie, Mango Pudding, or Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
7. Take a nap! There’s no shame in catching up on sleep, especially if you’ve been feeling burnt out or exhausted lately. Play some ocean waves audio in the background, close your eyes, and imagine you’re drifting off on a beach somewhere.
8. Watch a movie that takes place in a tropical setting, like Moana, Lilo and Stitch, Cast Away, or 50 First Dates.
9. Eat lots of delicious food! Think dishes with tropical flair like cheeseburgers topped with grilled pineapple, coconut shrimp, guacamole and chips, fish tacos with lime, etc.
10. As you wind down for the day, treat yourself to a luxurious mini spa session — no need to book a reservation! Put on a Face Mask, fill your tub with Bubble Bath, Bath Salts, or a Bath Bomb, and soak to your heart's content. Don’t forget to moisturize your skin with Body Butter after you’re done!